St. Stephen the Martyr Pastoral Council
April 24, 2018
The regularly scheduled meeting of the Pastoral Council of Saint Stephen the Martyr (“Council”) was held on April 24, 2018, at 7:10 PM, Central Daylight Time, in the Gonderinger Parish Center.
I. Call to Order
President Aaron Keller called the meeting to order. Hope DeLuca, Secretary, recorded minutes of the meeting.
II. Roll Call
The following members of the Council were present:
- Father Dave Belt
- Dean Baumert
- Katie Corrigan
- Hope DeLuca
- Aaron Keller
- Mike Maier
- Deb Saraka-Rubin
- Greg Weiss
- Nancy Williams
The following members of the Council were absent:
- Michael White
III. Opening Prayer
Mrs. Corrigan led the Council in a prayer to open the meeting.
IV. Approval of Minutes
Mr. Keller presented to the Council the minutes of the March 27, 2018 meeting of the Council, whereupon motion duly made, seconded and unanimously adopted.
V. Unfinished/Ongoing Business
New Meeting Format
- There are a number of reports to go through each month. There’s too many to touch on every report, at every meeting.
- The Council members were asked to go through all reports before each meeting begins. If there’s any concerns, then it can be brought up during the meeting.
- Council members were asked to go to department heads with any questions prior to meetings for any clarification needed.
- Reports – we could possibly give staff/ministry heads guidance on what we’d like to see in their reports. We need good data so it can aid in making big picture decisions for the future. At Fr. Belt’s past parishes, they had a template that ministry heads used for reports. Each month a new staff or ministry head made a presentation to the Council.
- Day to day operations will fall under Fr. Belt’s new leadership team. The Council will be responsible for big picture decisions and strategic planning.
- What kind of requests would we entertain from our ministries? We need to develop a line of communication with the ministries, so we can direct individuals to the right contact person.
- In the long run, it would be great to have a score card of how affective each ministry is.
- How are we one Church? We must keep our mission statement, as well as the the Archdiocesan mission statement in the forefront of all we do. Are we creating disciples and bringing Christ to all we encounter?
- Jim Jansen has been giving presentations to parishes on what it looks like to evangelize. He and his team are doing this throughout the Archdiocese. The Council was asked to pray on what an evangelization presentation might look like at St. Stephen, and who it might involve. A recommendation can be developed on how to proceed with training in evangelization. Fr. Belt may have some documents to share with on what this might look like. Mr. Keller may put together an overview of Mr. Jansens’ presentation so it can be further discussed.
- How does this call to evangelize live here at St. Stephen’s? Evangelization is a priority. Its a culture shift to realize that our call is to be out in the neighborhoods, bringing people to Jesus. How do we look at the whole spectrum of people and outreach to all? We need to have an outward focus. Wherever we are, people should know that we love the Lord. Our love for Christ does not end when we leave the parish building.
- Fr. Belt and Mr. Weiss met with John Sullivan last week. BCDM provided two layout ideas, and feedback was given. They will have another meeting on May 2, and costs will be discussed at that time. There will be two different tiers of price breakdowns, so concrete decisions can be made. Communication with the parish can happen soon after the project numbers are in. BCDM will provide a rendering that can be shown to the parish.
- BCDM will look at sound proofing the space. They can do a few things with dry wall. They can also install a second set of doors, that will divide the adoration space and the confessionals. The tabernacle will be on the back or West wall.
- There’s benefits to both layouts. The West wall option might lead to perpetual exposition. The back wall option would help in evangelization and education on reverence to the tabernacle. The USCCB has a document titled, “Built of Living Stone”. It talks about what the church space is for, which is to celebrate the Eucharist.
Pastoral Vision Update:
- As of Monday, the survey had 416 responses. The Knights of Columbus were asked to take the survey to gain more male responses. Other male groups will be asked as well. The next meeting for strategic planning is on May 14th.
- Personal invitations to friends/family to take the survey might be a good idea.
VI. Father Belt’s Report
Senior Leadership Team
· Father is working with Dcn. Luna from the Archdiocesan Pastoral Planning Office. Father has been using information from “Divine Renovation”, by Fr. Mallon, as well as a presentation given by Jim Jansen at the winter clergy conference to help develop his senior leadership team. They’ve been meeting for a couple of months now, but is not a complete team yet.
· Father Belt explained that Jesus had the crowds, the 72 apostles, 12 apostles, then the three in the inner circle (Peter, James and John). The inner circle would be Father’s new leadership team.
· There will be five members, plus Father Belt. They will meet weekly. Juli Han, with parish operations; Dcn. Denny Dethlefs with community outreach; the new school principal, Julie Perrault and the associate pastor make up the team. The evangelization role will be the last decided.
· They meet every Wednesday at 9:30 for around two hours.
· Right now, they’re making sure the ministries fall under a particular area. After this is all in place, the leadership team will meet with their employees to discuss job descriptions.
· The support staff is undergoing some changes right now. July Han is rewriting the personnel handbook. She’s using a template from the Archdiocese. She’s also working with Susan Walsh, from the Archdiocese.
· Dr. Greco was hired as the new assistant principal. He and Julie Perrault, are both working on updating the school handbook and school calendar for next year.
VII. Council Election 2018
- Nominations for Vice President: Mrs. Corrigan and Mrs. Williams
- Nominations for Secretary: Mrs. DeLuca
- The election will be held at the May meeting for Vice President and Secretary.
- The Constitution was approved. The document was signed by all members in attendance.
IX. For the Good of the Council
- In early June we will have a Mass/dinner for Council members and their families.
- Next meeting will be May 29th.
- We have two applications so far for open Council seats. Four others have expressed interest. May 10th is the deadline for applications.
- The Constitution states that we should have an education component to each meeting. What would that look like? Book studies? Church documents? Maybe a timed discussion on a topic?
Being no other business, the Council closed the meeting with the Prayer for Vocations. The meeting was adjourned at 9:09 pm.