St. Stephen the Martyr Pastoral Council
July 24, 2018
The regularly scheduled meeting of the Pastoral Council of Saint Stephen the Martyr (“Council”) was held on July 24, 2018, at 7:10 PM, Central Daylight Time, in the Gonderinger Parish Center.
I. Call to Order
President Dean Baumert called the meeting to order. Hope DeLuca, Secretary, recorded minutes of the meeting.
II. Roll Call
The following members of the Council were present:
- Father Dave Belt
- Father Padraic Stack
- Dean Baumert
- Katie Corrigan
- Hope DeLuca
- Mike Maier
- Trinette Shamburg
- Donna Titman
- Jerry Venner
- Michael White
- Nancy Williams
Special guest in attendance:
- Dan DeLuca
III. Opening Prayer
Mrs. Williams led the Council in a prayer to open the meeting.
IV. Approval of Minutes
Mr. Baumert presented to the Council the minutes of the June 26, 2018 meeting of the Council, whereupon motion duly made, seconded and unanimously adopted.
V. Unfinished/Ongoing Business
Pastoral Vision Update
- Mr. DeLuca provided the Council with an update on the Pastoral Vision Committee’s work. The Council will now take over the work on this project.
- The goal is to write vision statements for the 7 dimensions of parish life (Community, Worship, Leadership, Formation, Stewardship, Social Justice and Evangelization) by September, 2018. After that is in place, one, three and five year goals will be written for each area.
- Will be moved to Consent Agenda and approved at the beginning of the Council meetings.
VI. Father Belt’s Report
New Director of Catechesis and Evangelization
- Cathy Ashton starts her work at St. Stephen the Martyr tomorrow. Her first plan of action is to reach out to people involved in adult education activities. After that, they will begin planning for the next year.
- How do we help moms and dads live and pass on their faith to their kids? Fr. Belt and Mrs. Ashton have been working on this. It encompasses religious education, the school, youth groups, etc.
- The fiscal year ended with a surplus of approximately $100K. The approved budget for 2018-2019 has projected shortfall of $52K. Full details are in the financial report.
Gonderinger Parish Center
- The GPC has been inspected. Terracon will be coming to bore and take soil samples. Engineers are contracted.
- Once we find out why the building is sinking, we will come up with solutions.
- They’ve been working on getting their legal documents reviewed by legal council. That process is almost finished.
Director of Communications
- The leadership team has been thinking about hiring a Director of Communications for the parish.
VII. For the Good of the Council
- The St. Stephen the Martyr website has been updated with the names of the new Council members.
- A sign-up for bartending at the Parish Festival will be sent out.
- Williams will lead a brief discussion on the Evangelization document (“Disciples Called to Witness: The New Evangelization”) in the coming meetings.
VIII. Topics for Future Discussion
- The Welcome retreats are coming up in September.
Being no other business, the Council closed the meeting with the Prayer for Vocations. The meeting was adjourned at 8:49 pm.