St. Stephen the Martyr Pastoral Council
June 26, 2018
The regularly scheduled meeting of the Pastoral Council of Saint Stephen the Martyr (“Council”) was held on June 26, 2018, at 7:10 PM, Central Daylight Time, in the Gonderinger Parish Center.
I. Call to Order
President Dean Baumert called the meeting to order. Hope DeLuca, Secretary, recorded minutes of the meeting.
II. Roll Call
The following members of the Council were present:
- Father Dave Belt
- Father Padraic Stack
- Dean Baumert
- Hope DeLuca
- Mike Maier
- Trinette Shamburg
- Jerry Venner
- Michael White
- Nancy Williams
The following members of the Council were absent:
- Katie Corrigan
- Donna Titman
III. Opening Prayer
Mr. Baumert led the Council in a prayer to open the meeting.
IV. Approval of Minutes
Mr. Baumert presented to the Council the minutes of the May 29, 2018 meeting of the Council, whereupon motion duly made, seconded and unanimously adopted.
V. Unfinished/Ongoing Business
Pastoral Vision Update
- A committee meeting was held. A SWOT analysis will be done across the seven dimensions of parish life. The data will help to develop one, three and five year vision statements.
- After the initial gathering of information, the Council will take over the main work of this group.
- Pastoral Planning will become the primary focus of the Council meetings. There will be a monthly agenda item during each meeting.
- We need accountability so we know we met the goals that were set.
- We will consider the Archdiocesan vision in our planning.
VI. Father Belt’s Report
- Fr. Belt has been working with BCDM. In addition to designing the adoration space remodel, they were asked to look at issues with our buildings.
- BCDM staff came to look at the GPC. The building is sinking. It is active damage. The wall hasn’t separated from the roof yet.
- TerraCon is coming to bore into the soil to see if its a soil issue or a water issue.
- There are issues with the floors, and gaps between some walls.
- The adoration chapel project is now on hold because of financial issues. John Sullivan, Trustee, suggested to suspend the chapel project.
- The new principal and assistant are working hard to prepare for the upcoming school year. They will get a transition staff team together to help them through the summer.
- Next Monday is their official first day.
- They’ve already been working with legal council on the school handbook. It hasn’t been reviewed in a long time. Thirty pages were cut from the handbook so far. They’ve done amazing work.
Evangelization and Catechesis
- The Archdiocesan vision is to expand the adult formation ministry.
- Dcn. Marty Warwick has accepted a position as part-time facilities manager.
- Cathy Ashton will be our new Director of Catechesis and Evangelization. She will oversee Religious Education, Adult Formation and Youth Ministry. She has a background in parish work on the East coast. Cathy will begin working at St. Stephen the Martyr on July 23.
- The Senior Leadership Team is now complete.
- Catholic Mutual (our insurance provider), does a walk-through each year. They take photos and give a report to the pastor, and he has 30 days to respond.
- One of the issues this year was clutter throughout our buildings. Dcn. Marty has been working with department heads to get things cleaned up.
- Concrete on the steps going into the parish will need to be addressed as well.
- We’ve been asked to have a seminarian with us for a year. Kyle Loecker will join us, originally from O’Neill, Nebraska.
Saturday Morning Mass
- Saturday morning Mass will begin at St. Stephen the Martyr on July 7. Mass will be at 8:00 am each Saturday.
VII. For the Good of the Council
- July 11 is our Mass/dinner for Council members, including current and outgoing members. Mass will be in the chapel and dinner will be in the GPC.
- We will begin our continued education portion of the Council meeting in July. We will go over “Disciples Called to Witness: The New Evangelization”, provided by Fr. Belt.
VIII. Topics for Future Discussion
- The Council will work at the Parish Festival bar, on August 24. A Signup Genius will be coming out.
Being no other business, the Council closed the meeting with the Prayer for Vocations. The meeting was adjourned at 8:34 pm.