St. Stephen the Martyr Pastoral Council
May 29, 2018
The regularly scheduled meeting of the Pastoral Council of Saint Stephen the Martyr (“Council”) was held on May 29, 2018, at 7:10 PM, Central Daylight Time, in the Gonderinger Parish Center.
I. Call to Order
President Aaron Keller called the meeting to order. Hope DeLuca, Secretary, recorded minutes of the meeting.
II. Roll Call
The following members of the Council were present:
- Father Dave Belt
- Dean Baumert
- Katie Corrigan
- Hope DeLuca
- Aaron Keller
- Mike Maier
- Greg Weiss
- Michael White
- Nancy Williams
The following members of the Council were absent:
- Deb Saraka-Rubin
III. Opening Prayer
Mrs. DeLuca led the Council in a prayer to open the meeting.
IV. Approval of Minutes
Mr. Keller presented to the Council the minutes of the April 24, 2018 meeting of the Council, whereupon motion duly made, seconded and unanimously adopted.
V. Unfinished/Ongoing Business
Adoration Committee Update
- Andrew White is taking on leadership of the Adoration Committee in Mr. Weiss’s absence. Mr. White and Mr. Weiss will meet with Fr. Dave tomorrow to go over the last design meeting with BDCM on the adoration space project.
- Father met with BCDM earlier and they provided a couple of layouts and a bid to consider. Father asked them to bid sound proofing the confessionals.
- The designer recommended that the tabernacle goes on the West wall. Adorers would then have a line of vision with people walking into the room. It meets the requirements for potentially having exposition in that space as well.
- There will not be a ton of reconstruction needed. Lighting will be modified. New wall coverings were suggested. Carpet will be updated. Their estimate is what the contractor might charge for the job. The total is estimated at 40K currently, if all suggestions are completed.
Pastoral Vision Committee Update
- Survey results were looked over and discussed. There were 540 responses.
- Their next meeting is next week.
- The people that responded to the survey were most likely engaged in the parish already. 93% were attending Mass weekly or once a month.
- Dan DeLuca is creating an update for the bulletin.
VI. Father Belt’s Report
- We are losing Fr. Mark McKercher. He’s going to St. Robert Bellarmine. Fr. Mark will likely start moving gradually to their rectory. We will start getting the basement apartment ready.
- Dcn. Padraic Stack moved into the rectory already. He will be ordained to the priesthood on June 2nd. He has a background in architectural engineering and worked for BCDM previously.
- We will provide residence for Fr. Francis Nigli, who is currently at St. Wenceslaus. His new assignment will be chaplain to the Poor Claire Sisters, and he will assist Methodist Women’s and Lakeside hospitals. He will celebrate an occasional Sunday liturgy at St. Stephen the Martyr.
Senior Leadership Team
- Today is the deadline for applications for Director of Evangelization and Catechesis.
- Fr. Stack will coordinate the clergy and the liturgy team. Juli Han oversees operations/business and support staff. Dcn. Dethlefs oversees Pastoral Care. Julie Perrault is the new principal. The new Director of Evangelization and Catechesis will fill the last opening on the team.
- With the Senior Leadership Team in place, 5 people report to Father instead of 14.
- Mrs. Perrault and Dr. Greco are working hard on getting the student handbook revised. Mrs. Perrault has been interviewing and hiring faculty and staff for the next school year.
- Dr. Greco is working on our faculty and technology plan and discipline.
- Sunday giving is up.
- We’re working on getting our facilities cleaned up and fixed
VII. New Business
New Parish Logo
- DeLuca presented a new logo for the parish. The Senior Leadership Team had approved it.
- A motion was made to approve the new logo, whereupon it was seconded and unanimously approved.
- DeLuca will draft a “Brand Standards Document”, in which usage will be defined for the logo.
VIII. Election of Council Officers
- Williams was elected as Vice President.
- DeLuca was elected as Secretary.
IX. For the Good of the Council
- Dcn. Padraic Stack’s first Mass, after his ordination, will be on June 3 at 2:00 pm at St. James Catholic Church. His first Mass at St. Stephen the Martyr will be June 30 at 5:00 pm.
- Fr. Mark McKercher will have a Farewell reception the weekend of June 23-24.
Being no other business, the Council closed the meeting with the Prayer for Vocations. The meeting was adjourned at 8:57 pm.