St. Stephen the Martyr Pastoral Council
November 28, 2017
The regularly scheduled meeting of the Pastoral Council of Saint Stephen the Martyr (“Council”) was held on November 28, 2017, at 7:07 PM, Central Daylight Time, in the Gonderinger Parish Center.
- Call to Order
President Aaron Keller called the meeting to order. Hope DeLuca, Secretary, recorded minutes of the meeting.
- Roll Call
The following members of the Council were present:
- Father Dave Belt
- Dean Baumert
- Katie Corrigan
- Hope DeLuca
- Aaron Keller
- Mike Maier
- Deb Saraka-Rubin
- Greg Weiss
- Michael White
- Nancy Williams
- Opening Prayer
Mrs. Williams led the Council in a prayer to open the meeting.
- Approval of Minutes
Mr. Keller presented to the Council the minutes of the October 24, 2017 meeting of the Council, whereupon motion duly made, seconded and unanimously adopted.
- Unfinished/Ongoing Business
Board of Education Report
- They will be getting us information going forward. It will likely consist of quarterly reports.
Religious Formation Report
- They will be meeting next week. Quarterly reports are likely with them as well.
- We met our goal for the Archbishop’s Annual Appeal.
- The response to the stewardship drive was much better in 2016. We recalled that parishioners were asked to fill out a card right there at Mass, even if they couldn’t give financially.
Operations and Faith Formation Report
- Operations is constrained based on budget issues lately.
- Mr. Keller will ask Dcn. Marty about fixing then broken slide on the playground.
- Parking lot lights and main doors at the school repairs are on hold.
- We are looking into a security plan with the Omaha Police.
- Special events were double counted in error.
- Payments of $15,000 in addition to our mortgage are suspended.
- We have six months of loan payment on hand. We will use part of that to pay bills.
- Preschool and RE enrollment trailed off this year. Could be that our parish is aging.
- Baptism numbers are down.
Pastoral Planning Report
- The new mission statement will be introduced soon.
- There will be listening sessions the first quarter of next year. They will be held at many different times, to allow a large population of our parishioners to attend.
- They will follow with a survey.
- From that, a 3-5 year plan will be developed. The target date for that is fall of 2018.
- Dcn. Luna with the Archdiocese does not have a tabernacle that we can use. Mr. Weiss has a couple of other leads to pursue.
- There’s a company in Pennsylvania that restores religious artifacts that might be another avenue.
- This may be a project that could require donations.
- The architects need to know what the new tabernacle will look like before any further planning can take place.
Facilities Use Policy
- Mr. Keller met with Dcn. Warwick, Mrs. Maguire and Dr. Williby.
- He had 26 questions and asked for further clarification.
- Dcn. Warwick is looking into issues with the school musical.
- Father Belt’s Report
- First school board meeting was last week.
- All 12 members were there.
- A survey went out to faculty and staff. There were 55 responses so far.
- A survey went out to families, former families and community members. There were 362 responses. It was shared with the school board and Dr. Williby. After the holidays, the results will be communicated with parents.
- The school board has four working committees. Parents and interested people will be invited to participate. There will be seven people on each of the four committees.
- They will work on redeveloping the school by-laws. This hasn’t been approved since 2008-09. They will be using a template from the Archdiocese.
- The new school mission statement will be published soon.
- They had their first meeting last week.
- It will have working committees, and meet quarterly.
- They are working on the budget. The first draft will be ready by Christmas.
- Schenck will work with every department head to develop their own piece of the budget.
- There’s a freeze on spending. No extra projects right now.
- The new website its close to completion.
- Father has seen the first draft, and it looks good. It will be much more user friendly.
- First reconciliation will be next week.
- Parish reconciliation service will be coming up.
- The environment committee is busy working on decorations for Advent and Christmas.
- New Business
Council Email Address
- The Council email address is up and working. Mrs. DeLuca will write a bulletin announcement to get the word out to the parishioners.
- The Council Christmas party will be on December 15.
- There is no Council meeting in December.
- There may be a brief Council discussion at the Christmas party.
- For the Good of the Council
- Saraka-Rubin brought up the Reflective Stations of the Cross, that’s been done in previous years. Would like to see it done again this coming Lent.
Being no other business, the Council closed the meeting with the Prayer for Vocations. The meeting was adjourned at 9:11 pm.